Getting pre-approved through a mortgage lender is an essential first step in the home buying process. Having a pre-approval letter will let sellers know that you are a serious buyer and can aid significantly in your favor if you are in a situation where you are competing with another buyer on a home. Getting pre-approved will also give you the best information about the price point for your budget. Feel free to use our Mortgage Calculator to determine your estimated payments.
The process of getting pre-approved is a very easy and painless process, however it is usually the most anxiety provoking portion of the process. To take the anxiety out of this portion of the home buying process, below is a list of what your lender will require from you to get you a pre-approval letter.
- W-2 forms - or business tax return forms if you're self-employed - for the last two years for every person signing the loan.
- Copies of at least one pay stub for each person signing the loan.
- Account numbers of all your credit cards and the amounts for any outstanding balances.
- Copies of three months of bank or credit union statements for both checking and savings accounts.
- Lender, loan number, and amount owed on other installment loans, such as student loans and car loans.
- Addresses where you've lived for the two years, with names of landlords if appropriate.
- Copies of your most recent 401(k) or other retirement account statement.
- Documentation to verify additional income, such as child support or a pension
- All bankruptcy and discharge of bankruptcy papers (if applicable)
Why You Should Work With Us
You and your staff, especially Teresa Geiken, are amazing. Teresa made the purchasing experience as pleasant as could be imagined. She is a special individual, and we are honored to have met her and have her help us buy a home. You, obviously, instill great values and the highest levels of customer- Dan E
Great experience! She was able to pull everything together very quickly for us during the buying and selling experience. We appreciated her advice and quick response time to our questions/concerns. The interactions months after our sale have continued to be nothing but positive.- Danette S
We have worked with Amy and her team twice now, buying our first home and then selling it. We could not think more highly of them. They took our home and sold it way above what we even thought we could get for it. They are so on top of everything and have excellent communication and customer service- Kaeleigh L
Best realtor ever! I never felt dumb asking questions. Always a quick response no matter what time of day it was. Always very knowledgeable. Would recommend her to anyone!- Cathy Miller